Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Grandad Rob

Aly's dad, Rob, was already a grandfather to twins when Charlie and Henry came along. Laurel and June are the boys' little cousins and they live in Florida with C&H's other cousin on that side, James. Despite this learned expertise, Rob, like the rest of the world, felt unable to help poor Charlie and Henry while they were stuck in hospital and, instead, supported from the sidelines patiently waiting for them to get strong enough to get home, when all the family could really start making tangible contributions and relationships. 

Sadly, Rob's time is running out and, as if this whole story wasn't tragic enough, Rob is going to die before the boys get to know what a fantastic Grandfather they have. 

We wrote earlier about how quickly Henry's illness took over him and there is a parallel in Rob's story. Rob has had heart problems for over 20 years but in the last few months things have moved to a whole new level and now have plummeted to this point, where Rob's medical care is now palliative. Rather than "just" having a device to help his heart, Rob's condition has, this year, started leading to failure of other organs, including his brain. Due to the vascular dementia, Rob now has very few lucid moments. This rapid decline has taken the whole family by surprise and the new reality everyone is living with is that we only have three weeks left with Rob.  Charlie and Henry will never know their granddad. It's heartbreaking to write that but it's true. What they will know is how happy their Granddad was when he found out they were coming and how excited he was to be a Granddad to two babies he watched his daughter and son in law work so hard for.  Charlie and Henry will always know how proud their Granddad was of them. 

Aly's family asked us to post about Rob to let people know his situation.  We had alluded to it but felt the time was right to let people know the gravity of the situation.  We went up to see Aly's family today (Sunday) and Charlie was able to come along. Henry is still in the hospital but is improving and we hope to have him off the vent tomorrow.  


(D&A)


6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this. Sending all my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just devastated for you. My prayers are coming your way. What an absolutely beautiful photo that is. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob is a great friend and mentor. Please know that my family and I are praying for you all. If there is anything at all that any of you need, please do not hesitate to call me. -Chris Reeder (903) 286-4518

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dear, dear picture. I know Henry will cherish it. Rob will be sorely missed. My love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aly, I feel like it is time to confess that I've been periodically reading your blog. Your candor and creativity in words admist such struggle has been no short of inspirational. Growing up as your friend and neighbor, I have never seen you short on convinction or passion but the way you have poured into your boys is astounding and humbles me as a mom. You have been generous to bring us readers and friends into your dark and triumphant moments. Your blog will continue to inspire us all for years to come. Your boys will no doubt feel such pride as they grow up and boast about their mom (and dad too!). Speaking of parents, the news of your father's condition brings me such sadness. His wit and welcoming demeanor (when I came around your home growing up) will always stay fresh in my mind. While impossibly difficult, may these final moments together be blessed with sweetness. May each minute you have with him now be greater than the sum of all prior moments. I so wish I could cry tears for you that would somehow lessen your sorrows. Sending my love and hugs to you, your precious father Rob, and the rest of your family...Candace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey my beautiful friends. I have been trying to come up with the right words to respond to this post. All I can say is that my love and heart is with all of you. I wish things weren't happening this way. Continued love and light during this incredibly difficult time.

    ReplyDelete