Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Monday, June 2, 2014

'Cause You've Got...

I said that I might stop with the blog posting. Once the boys were out of the hospital, there was a logic to that being the end of the story. If it doesn't stop then, when does it stop? I don't mean their life story, of course, I mean the scary story about having premature babies.

It doesn't matter. If I am in the mood to write about the boys and you are in the mood to read, then the blog continues, I suppose.

I wrote to a stranger earlier this year. She had written a blog about her premature baby. One of the things that she said to me was that nobody expects much of a baby so I should enjoy this time fully. In the future, there may be measurements. I think I would have been enjoying this time anyway but I am happy to have the reminder filed away for when needed.

So, let's all focus on now. Charlie and Henry are an absolute joy and they've got (altogether now Showaddywaddy fans) personality. I think it is impossible to know when we start to form our personality. While the boys were in hospital, Aly and I worried a lot about how it was affecting them. It was one of the many reasons that we loved having consistency in their nurses. If there was any chance at all that they were feeling sad or lonely and we weren't there, it felt much better knowing that the faces that came to comfort them were familiar ones. As you probably know, Charlie was home first and it is hard to disconnect that fact from the fact that he seems the more laid back of the two. I have shown this photograph a lot, but it really does capture how they were when it was taken, very soon after Henry was home.

Henry has relaxed a lot more since then but he still often wears a look of suspicion where Charlie seems more ready for the next adventure. Here's what I mean;

I think Henry's suspicious face could be used to define a new international scale of suspicion. Here's what I suggest;
At the top of the scale is "no good is coming from whatever that is over there"

Then there is "I am not sure what that is... We should keep our guard up"

On the low end of the scale is "this might be fun... But let's see, shall we?"

Another explanation is the photographer, of course. Here's one that his mom took;

Charlie's equivalent scale would be of anticipation. Starting at "alright, count me in";

Then "I can't wait for this to start"

At the top; "Wooooo!"

(D)



3 comments:

  1. OMG!! this post made me laugh so hard and I showed it to my guys and they loved it too. I selfishly hope you keep posting. I seriously check this every day even if I don't comment right away. Your boys have stolen my heart and I love you all so much. Thank you for periodically updating. It stops me from harassing Aly via text every few days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need updates! Been rooting for these wee men before they were even born. Love that they are both home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't stop blogging!! I love it when I see that there's a new post about the boys! Their little expressions are priceless!

    ReplyDelete