Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Baby on Board

Even before I saw The Simpsons episode with the same title as this post, I asked the guy I shared an office with around 2001 why he had a sign saying "Baby on Board" up in his car. His explanation was that he wanted everyone to know why he was driving so slowly and cautiously. This made perfect sense to me but had never crossed my mind until he said it. I thought about this during my return to work this week because, as private as I usually am, I have spoken quite a lot to people about our difficult times (and you might have noticed that I write about them too). I think it is because I want people to know why I am behaving so differently. As Nina Simone sang, Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. 

Aly held Henry today and I held Charlie. These are good signs. If they are well enough to be allowed out, this is good. Charlie is having a good run of "negative cultures", meaning that the infection is looking like it is out of his blood. Henry is losing the fluid he was retaining and seems to be on a path that the medical team are ok with. Aly is making new nurse friends and one of them told me off today for making a pessimistic comment (about Charlie's chances of coping with being fed milk). She was right and I was glad she felt comfortable enough to make her point. Also, it seems that they do photo shoots in The Towerr too! So, for the Vols fans, reset your excitement calendar to Wednesdays. 

In summary, consider this an "all's well" message, but read "well" as a relative term, of course. 

Here is Henry, still carrying some fluid but getting better;


Here is Charlie - yes, he has a collection of hats and, yes, he is sucking a pacifier for US readers / dummy for UK. It is considered good practice for feeding by mouth in later life. 


As a quick aside, that Simpsons episode is a must for all Beatles fans.


(D)

4 comments:

  1. Awww Charlie is wearing Mama's wedding ring <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing picture of the wee men. Such a treat. Glad things are wellish. Think we may need to send them I love New York hats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to read "all is well."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing a piece of mama on Charlie!

    ReplyDelete