Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Steady Sunday

It's looking like a quiet Sunday here today. Even though we have the unusual situation of our weekend doctor being our usual weekday doctor (I don't think Aly has named him yet.. I'll go with Dr Goodquestion), we have not made any changes over the weekend. There have been times when no change has frustrated me. Today, I feel quite good about it. 

Charlie is on his "trophic" feeds and Aly and I are really keen not to rush things. He looks great and his breathing is near perfect. I know we have to challenge him, he isn't going to be on IVs and ventilators forever, but I am fine with another day of him being stable and comfortable. This prolapsed stoma seems to be one of those issues that is worse for the parents than it is for the doctors. In other words, it looks worse than it actually is. 

Henry has been doing well and we fully expect a feeding plan for him to start early next week. In the meantime, he has been doing a great job of losing the fluid he put on prior to his operation and, warning - proud daddy talk ahead, he looks fabulous. Saturday was Aly's mom's birthday and, as a surprise, we arranged it for her to hold Henry. The nurse and RT were very helpful getting it done and it was really lovely. I am resisting writing too much analysis about it. Actually, after reading, how excellently Kelley Benham wrote for the Tampa Bay Times on the subject of her premature daughter, I feel I should stick to reporting the news and leave the creative writing to the professionals. Don't worry, I am sure I'll get over it. 

Talking of leaving it to the professionals, my photography isn't great but, in my defence, I try not to use a flash too often and that makes for a bit of blur. Here is Henry melting his grandmother's heart for her birthday. 


(D)

5 comments:

  1. This made me tear up! Happy Birthday to Grandma! What a gift!! Glad things are calm and stable today. Your posts usually expand my knowledge of the universe. So glad Wee man C is tolerating feeds and so happy it seems that Henry is soon behind! Sending love today and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely surprise! Thinking of you all as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photy made me well up too. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet photo and an unforgettable moment for grandma! Stay strong Fitzies small and big. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's looking up at her - so sweet..................

    ReplyDelete