Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Feed Me

Henry is getting feeds. This is very pleasing and, although I have written about a lot of things on these posts, I am choosing to leave this one to Aly or leave it altogether. The main point is that 15 days after his surgery, we are trying trophic feeds with Henry. Henry is also now on Omegaven. There is a blog that is almost 3 years old about this treatment on the TCH page. I like the Texas Children's blog. Especially this one

Charlie appears to be tolerating his feeds at the moment. As predicted, nutrition for the boys is going to be the main topic for a while. 

We are in a new routine where Aly is at the hospital and I go to work. I hate not being at the hospital with the boys as much as I was but I am so proud of how Aly is taking care of things there and helping me as well as helping our sons. Someone I know from work commented on how my perspective on "important", "difficult", "challenging" etc. is going to be very different now and she was right (she usually is). It's not easy to be back at work but it's not easy for Aly to be dealing with NICU life alone and, of course, it's not easy to be Charlie or Henry. 

I hate television advertising in the US but, for the second time, I am going to reference it in a post. There is a commercial over here where a camel walks thought the office on a Wednesday asking what day it is, trying to get his colleagues to say it is hump day. If the camel asked me tomorrow, I would have to answer "it's the day the lovely volunteers take photos of the boys and make nice cards for us". It doesn't really roll off the tongue, I know.

(D)

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me want to hug you long and hard D. Bug squeezes from the Fighting Fitzie fan club in New York. Sending love to all of you. Hoping the feeds continue for the wee ones and all is tolerated. xoxo

    ReplyDelete