Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Call in the Middle of the NIght

Quick update for you guys.  At 12:22 am the ringtone I have set on my phone for when the NICU calls went off.  I answered and we found out that Henry had extubated. The NNP was vague about how it had happened, saying that she thinks Henry just "coughed it up."  She assured us that he was now re-intubated and doing just fine. Naturally we were upset but we know these things happen sometimes. We decided to call our nurse early in the morning to get her perspective on what happened.  I want to say we could not be more grateful and thankful for our primary nurse who was taking care of the boys last night.  I am crying as I write this because the magnitude of what happened is just starting to hit me and I want to give her a big hug for saving my baby last night.  Apparently the NNP didn't tell us the whole story about what happened. Our nurse was alone in the pod, her pod mate was on a break. She noticed Henry starting to desat and immediately went over to inspect. She noticed water coming out of the tube area so she went in to suction, Henry was still desating. She starts giving him manual breaths. Henry keeps desating and now he's bradying. She hits the code button. Right at that time her pod mate walks in and they start bagging Henry but just can't get any breaths in. His heart rate drops more and they have to start chest compressions. CHEST COMPRESSIONS. Jesus. That's the part the NNP left out. They did compressions for about 2 minutes and our nurse assured me Henry's heart never stopped, but his heart rate was in the low 40's.  When you hit the code button everyone in the unit pretty much comes running and that's what happened. Everyone came running and they managed to suction a significant amount of secretions from his chest which looks to be the cause of all this. They re-intubated him but it sounds like it was a bit of a traumatic intubation as he has a cut on his lip. Dr. Good Question will not be happy this happened and I'm really happy he's on today so we can talk this through. We will update later on how things are.  In the meantime, thank you to our sweet and caring night primary who knows and loves our babies. I know this was hard on her and we are so grateful she told us the whole truth and that she was there for Henry. I know Henry knows her voice and her touch and if I couldn't be there to help him I'm glad she was. 

(A)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Aly I cannot imagine how you must feel but thank God for Henry's very attentive primary nurse. I continue to think of and pay for you guys every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aly, crying here. How very scary. I am so glad he is okay, but oh my goodness. Sweet wee Henry sending you and yours extra love today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little Henry, please don't scare mom & dad in the middle of the night. You need to hold off on those hijinks until you are a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandsons never fail to amaze me !!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete