Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Breathing

There's The Godfather (Parts I and II), of course, but, apart from that, I have not really been consistent in my position on the greatest movies ever made. In my adult life, number 3 on my list has been Field of Dreams, Pulp Fiction, Casablanca, Goodfellas and the current number 3, that has held its position for more than 5 years now, Cast Away. I think that it is a very under rated movie, which is possibly let down by some overly sentimental, maybe even trite scenes. However, I love it, so I forgive it. The "ice in my glass" scene, where Tom Hanks's character says "I know what I have to do now; got to keep breathing because tomorrow the sun will rise and who knows what the tide will bring" is one that I quote a lot and has a significance in my life beyond even how honest and open I have chosen to be in this blog. 

I mention it today because, even though nutrition and growing is the number one priority, breathing was what got the attention. Charlie is "desatting" (having insufficient levels of oxygen in his blood) and he has been for a few days. He's in the NICU so, of course, there's an alarm for that and he self corrects or gets a little help from his friends. There are a few theories about what is going on but nobody is suggesting that he does not go to CPAP early next week as planned. It will probably help. What I reminded him about today was that, without the ventilator, he has "got to keep breathing". 

Henry was breathing well all day. He got a little hot so he got to hang out in just his underwear for a while. I am calling it now, I think that is going to be his preferred outfit for the next few years. 

Aly held Charlie for 2 hours. Sorry that the photography is dark, neither boy likes the flash or even bright lighting. 


I hung out with Henry but I let him lie and held his hand. I have a pseudo-scientific notion that Henry needs to use every calorie on growing. Excitement can wait. Here was Henry before he decided to go streaking;


(D)

1 comment:

  1. Sending so much love to Charlie as he prepares for CPAP this week and to Henry as he continues to grow grow grow!!!! Love the pics. Also that is a great quote about the tide. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete