Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Twins

Dr. Marvelous has twins. The surgeon that we really like that did Henry's surgery has twins. If Aly was writing this, she would tell you the other people at the hospital with twins (she remembers these things much better than I do). We have two nieces that are twins. Charlie and Henry are not the only twins in the world. I make this statement of the bloody obvious because today I reflected on a similar statement of the obvious that was given to me at a time when I really needed it. I was reminded that, although the boys are twins, we need to remember that they are individuals. Obvious, right? Yes. However, if one boy has an issue where the only explanation the doctors have is "prematurity", you will understand why my instinct veers away from thinking of them as individuals and more as two boys in the same boat. 

Charlie was suspected of having the eye problem ROP last week and had the diagnosis confirmed today. I had resigned myself to this and, although I was sad, I accepted that it was treatable. Quietly, I was worrying that Henry would have it too. Why wouldn't he? Today, we were told he did. They both got the treatment and now we wait. 

If, readers, you take only one thing from reading these blogs I would like it to be this; NICU nurses save lives. Yes, they save the lives of the tiny children, of course, but they also save the lives of heartbroken grown ups too. On Saturday night, we were given another little example of this when Henry's nurse delivered a little wrapped up packet of joy to Aly during her evening call. The nurse told Aly that she thought it was time for Henry to wear clothes. Aly has had so much of the joy of being a mom (I did it) taken away from her that it, literally, makes me weep. I watched as Aly squealed with delight at the news from the night nurse and as she squealed a few times more when she picked out little boy clothes on Sunday. I wasn't there when Henry tried on his new outfit, but I bet there was another little squeal. And I bet there was a nurse there to share it with her.

(D)

2 comments:

  1. I can't stop grinning, like from ear to ear, big cheesy smile which I predict will last all day. Thank you for sharing this moment I am squealing here in NY. Handsome handsome handsome little man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very precious! I remember the day very well when we were told our baby could finally wear clothes-my mom & I squealed with every preemie outfit for a boy we saw...we bought everyone of them too. It's such a precious milestone for preemie/NICU parents. To be able to change our baby's clothes makes us feel even more like their parent(s).

    ReplyDelete