Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Looking Back

Wednesday was comparatively uneventful. Charlie kept peeing and, by the end of the day, was almost entirely off of the dopamine. Everyone feels good about how he is doing.

Henry had one of his drains removed and spent a couple of hours cuddling his proud Daddy. 



During my cuddle time I reflected about how the weekend was really weird. On Saturday, we were not as sick as we feared and on Sunday Charlie was sicker than we knew. We decided that we shouldn't go to the hospital on Saturday because we both felt that we had a cold coming on. Then, on Sunday, feeling better, we went in but after a few hours that included a great conversation with the head of neonatology we decided that the boys were doing well and, maybe, we should get out and see the outside world for a while. 

What would we do?

For a while, before Aly got pregnant, we were regulars at a restaurant near us called Liberty Kitchen. We would walk there and sit at the bar. We got to know the people that worked there and met some great people. When the restaurant was a year old, we got a great thank you from them that hangs in our kitchen. 



Also, we loved to talk, on the walk and once we got there. We both felt in the mood for a walk to The Kitchen. 

On the way, I asked Aly if she thought we would recognize anyone, since it had been so long since we had spent time there. Well, we did and our old pals knew about Charlie and Henry. They had a card signed for us and all gave us hugs. We had great food and drinks. I cried. 
I wanted to share the story of our Sunday date for a few reasons. Firstly, I am amazed by how generous everyone has been. People really want to help and we are really grateful and people have really helped. Secondly, it made me reflect on something that a lot of people believe but I don't really know about. People tell us that they believe things happen for a reason. As I say, I don't know. But, in this instance, if we had known how sick Charlie was on Sunday, we would not have felt comfortable enough to have the afternoon that we did and that would have been a shame. 

(D)

1 comment:

  1. Even in the time since you have written this it seems like things again have changed and I am sending so much light to c as I write. I want to say that I love henry s hair. I want to say I am so glad you were able to go on a date.I don't know if everything happens for a reason but I do know for sure that people like yourselves walk toward the light in the darkness. You create goodness out of despair. You find purpose and motivation in the most challenging times. You are so loved my friends. Xo

    ReplyDelete