Introduction

Our sons Charles George Fitzpatrick and Henry Michael Fitzpatrick were born prematurely on November 16, 2013 at a gestational age of 24 weeks and 1 day. Their "due date" was March 7th, 2014. We started this site on November 28th.

Both Aly and David will be posting to the site. While you will probably be able to tell who is writing by our writing styles, we will sign off on our entries with our initials so you will be sure of the author.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

November 30th, 2013. Part 2; Oh, Saturday - you dark horse

At 1am in the early morning hours of Saturday we got the dreaded NICU call. Henry had to have a new intubation tube put in because his heart rate was low, his oxygen was too high and basically he was just a hot mess of a baby. They had already done the procedure when the sweet resident called, they just wanted to let us know. We got the call at 1:02 and we were in the hospital parking lot at 1:34. We really need to order that "my baby is in in the NICU" siren for our car. Anyway, once we got there we spoke with the nurse and spent the next 2 hours watching Henry breathe and sleep like nothing had ever happened. Once we were convinced things looked as OK as they were going to look, we decided to drag ourselves home at about 3:30am. We got up again at about 6:45 to get ready for the day. My parents met us at the house to drop off some much needed food for us and then we all went to the hospital. The boys were born two weeks ago today. As we were walking into the NICU, we met Dr. Miracle. Dr. Miracle was the Attending on for the day and we knew him well. He had consulted with us multiple times while I was pregnant and he knew our boys very well. He asked me how the Kangaroo Care (when you get to hold your baby skin to skin) went with Charlie the day before. I told him it was nothing short of disaster, that I was pretty sure I had broken my baby and I understood if they never let me hold him again. He just smiled his Dr. Miracle smile and said we would do it again today, that he would make it happen. I quietly thought to myself, "yeah, he's not going to let that happen once he really reads how yesterday went". We walked with him to the room and he assessed both boys. He started with Charlie and he was quite pleased with how old Chuck was looking. Score one for Charlie!! He then announced to all the nurses that I would be holding Charlie today and to page him when we were ready and he would come help. HOLY SHIT, I'M GOING TO GET TO HOLD MY BABY! He then moved on to assess Henry and he got a gold star too. Dr. Miracle explained that what had happened the night before wasn't that uncommon (too much fluid in the lungs), that Henry responded beautifully to the treatment and was now much more happy and comfortable. I'll take that. Surgery came and looked at the boys. Ohhh Surgeons, such special snowflakes. In the beginning the surgeons were, for lack of a better word - and because it's me writing - utter and complete dicks. They were cocky and talked fast and were not real thrilled we had questions. What nerve of us, to question them! I can honestly say I think I wore them down and turned them slightly more human. Now when they come in they know they aren't leaving without a conference with David and me about both boys and every question we ask will be answered in non-surgeon speak or they won't get to leave.  We have tamed the beast that is "The Surgeon". Don't get me wrong, they do great work and we are so grateful for the drains they put in on the boys. So, back to Saturday, the surgeons looked at the boys and were pleased. I even got a thumbs up from one of them as she walked out of the room. Told ya we had tamed them. After they left Dr. Miracle asks if I'm ready to hold Charlie. The nurses aren't thrilled about this. Not because they are mean, but because they know how stressful it was yesterday on Charlie and don't want that again. Dr. Miracle says he has a technique and it will be fine. I get in my chair and the respiratory therapist comes in, Dr. Miracle starts to bag Charlie to bring him over to me and then like magic I am holding my first born son. This time his heart rate is totally normal, he's not turning blue and I get to hold him for an hour and forty minutes. His vitals respond, as the nurse said, "beautifully". She keeps raving about how well he is responding to the Kangaroo Care. My heart is full. During this time, David takes my mom over to Henry and has her hold Henry's hand for the first time, which was a very special moment. After Kangaroo Care is over, I'm told I am going to get to hold Henry too. The bad luck fairy must be out of the office today because this is the best day we have had in our NICU life so far. David and I go to lunch and when we come back I get hold Henry. Henry responded wonderfully too. Vitals looked great and he just slept and cuddled and I read him poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends.  Since holding both boys went so well I'll be able to hold them daily now and they really encourage it. David and I left the hospital around 6:00pm and were in bed by 9 and we didn't get a call overnight! It's about 7:15 now and we will head into the hospital for what we hope is a very boring day of baby growing.

Charlie and me;

Here's Charlie parachuting in; 

Henry and me in the afternoon;

(A)

8 comments:

  1. I have tears streaming down my face!!!! So glad to hear this wonderful news!!!

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful A! So glad the boys had a good day as well. Always thinking of y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop crying over here... I'm not even a prayer, but I'm praying for y'all and your boys, just in case.
    Here's to more days like this, and even better ones.

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome!!!! Reading this made me tear up...lots of love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!!! You sure are one tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sight, sweet Mama. Sending you and David a super hug and many prayers; you are in our thoughts daily. Thank you for sharing your journey with everyone who loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful moments to have with your sons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to see the computer screen through my tears! We are all rooting for you guys! Much love.

    ReplyDelete